Coaching using the Sliding Scale Model
To set a price on a service without considering the humanity of those receiving and giving, I believe, is to continue the cycle of socialized oppression that exists across the world.
To break this, I modeled this scale off of other anti-oppression, pro-humanity entrepreneurs* that I admire. This scale invites us to take the first step in acknowledging where we are financially and socially in the world. It asks us to define what our society assigns us as privileges and disadvantages.
I ask that you take these factors into consideration alongside what feels right to you when setting the investment price for our engagement.
Note: To acknowledge what is true for you in this case is not an act of diminishing your sense of worth or place in life, you are worthy and doing your best, I honor that. It is instead an act of pointing out the oppressive systems that exist to limit our ability to thrive.
Consider paying lower on the scale if you:
- have student loans you pay for monthly
-are supporting children, family, or other dependents
- are a single parent or are the only source of income in your home
- have significant debt that takes a considerable amount of your income
- receive any form of public assistance
- have immigration-related expenses
- are an elder with limited financial resources
- are a returning citizen who has been denied work due to incarceration history or disability
- are a teacher in a public school system
- are a student (if this is true for you, please contact me directly)
Consider paying higher on the scale if you:
- own the home you live in
- own property
- have investments, retirement accounts, or inherited money
- travel for leisure or recreationally
- have multiple sources of income by choice
- have a relatively high degree of earning power due to your level of education, assigned gender, racial privilege, class background, and the like. (Even if you do not actively leverage this power, as you may benefit from it without awareness).
Be aware that if you choose lower on the scale when in fact you can afford the higher ticket, you are limiting access to those who truly need the financial flexibility.
By choosing the investment you are engaging in the practices of a more sustainable and just community, where we dismantle oppression by honoring our humanity and liberation.
Thank you for embarking in this practice with me.
*Special thanks to Toi Marie Smith, Ride Free Fearless Money and Worts + Cunning Apothecary, and Nicola Brown for being the models I needed.
Updated July 23rd, 2020